Saturday, May 22, 2010

From Stick Figures to Proper Drawings

So, if you were ever looking for the WORLD"S WORST DRAWER, then you have found her. I have always been a horrific drawer. One who could only draw stick figures and the traditional bow drawings that you see people draw while they are on a boring phone call. So, you can imagine my fear, when I found out that in order to get a BFA degree, you are required to take an Introduction to Drawing course.

I tried everything to figure out how I could get out of this course. But I had absolutely no luck, and was forced to take the 3 hours studio course. Long story short, I ended up with a grad student as my Professor. He was in his final semester of getting his MFA, and to sum it up, he was the best teacher that I have EVER EVER had. Within one semester, he got me to draw and draw in a way that I thought could never be possible.

I had some very difficult days in that class. Some days I left hysterical crying because I thought there was no way in the world that I would ever be able to finish this class, let alone be able to pass it.

Well, I kept trying, and went to friday extra credit session, where my Professor would come in and help those in the class who needed extra help. It was the best thing that I could ever have done. He worked with me patiently and even though he was really hard on me and extremely nit picky, I was able to finish the class with an A+. Not only did it become my favorite class, but from the friday extra credit sessions, I developed some of the most amazing friendships with other students in the class.

This drawing class has opened me up to all the art possibilities that are out there. I am beyond happy that I was able to complete that class the way I did, and even more satisfied with the way that I can now draw.



No comments:

Post a Comment